Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Sanity Doesn't Require Super Powers!

Last night I was thinking of our journey to where we are now. When we started out, I was frustrated and didn't understand what was going on with my son and how to deal with him. I was thinking of all of this as I saw a post on the Asperger's forum from a mom new to the aspie scene whose child had the symptoms and was needing to know what doctor she needed to see for a diagnosis. As I responded to her blog, a friend noted that I was probably going to terrify her with the list which consists of a psychologist ( who did the testing and gave a diagnosis), his counselor, his pediatrician, his occupational therapist, his speech therapist, his physical therapist, and starting in a couple weeks his Gasteroenterologist, his nutritionist and his neurologist. She was probably right. I probably scared the pants off of that lady.

As I reflected on the trials and hardships that brought Mason and I thus far, I realize that sanity doesn't require super powers. It requires patience and research. The more knowledge you can acquire about your child's condition the more prepared you are. The more you can walk a mile in your child's shoes. See the world through their rose colored glasses. Mason and I have come so far. I say Mason and I cause it not just about enabling him to cope and adjust as well as celebrating his uniqueness, it is about the road we have traveled together.

As I researched and read more about Asperger's. I learned what aspects of Mason's behavior were a part of it. The fact that he chews on his shirts and the rocking. I learned how to calm when down when he gets upset, and to ride out the storm when a meltdown ensues. Most important of all, I have learned the ability to adapt and be flexible. If people wonder why when Mason is screaming and flailing around walmart I seem so calm I'd say they don't know a child with Autism. As my knowledge and patience grew, so did Mason's. I am happy to report that Mason's shirt chewing has all but ceased as well as his rocking. They only show up occasionally now where as they used to occur everyday. I know that they will never stop completely. That there will always be a meltdown or four on the horizon. That I will always have to deal with the feelings and situations he doesn't understand. My understand has made it easier on him. Learning to how respond to my unique child, has made Mason's stress level go down day by day which means less of a need for his repetitive behaviors.

I truly believe that sanity doesn't need superpowers.

1 comment:

  1. "I say Mason and I cause it not just about enabling him to cope and adjust as well as celebrating his uniqueness, it is about the road we have traveled together."

    I love this sentence! :) I try to remind Sammy frequently that he's a really neat kid, and that the things that make him "different" also make him very interesting and unique. I don't really want him to suddenly become "normal"--he wouldn't be my Sammy if that happened--I just want him to be able to function in the world without so much stress to himself and those around him. Like you said, it's about coping but still recognizing that he is special! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Frog Community