Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Where is Larry the Cucumber when my pickle is lost?


Another traumatic day for Mr. Mas and I. I have to start by saying that mothering a child with Asperger's has to be the most wonderful and the hardest thing I ever had to do. Whoever said the lines are blurred when raising a child never had to raise one like mine. I feel that sometimes I put more blame on myself for the meltdowns than I deserve. At least that is what my best friend told me today. It all started with the pickle. I got a wonderful note from Sir-teach-alot (A.K.A) Mas' first grade teacher. Telling me that Mason is doing so much better and to thank Mr. S and I for all that we are doing. Last year it was not so much a tradition as it was part of Mason's regular routine that on the day's that the PTO was selling Popcorn and pickles, Mason always got to choose one. Being a new year I was unaware of when the PTO was doing it. I assumed that it would be listed on his homework sheet as usual. BIG MISTAKE! You guessed it! Today was popcorn and pickle day and I conveniently left my purse at the house. I tried to tell Mason that I was sorry and I didn't know that it was pickle day and he could have one next time. I lost that fight! I had to drag Mason to the car kicking and screaming. I heard it all. From "I hate you!" to "They are never going to have pickles again!" In the back of my mind, I feel like the most horrible mother. A good mother would know that this would cause a meltdown and have averted it in the first place. The truth: It doesn't make me a bad mom. It makes me human.

2 comments:

  1. I would highly recommend the book The Mind that Changes Itself by Norman Doidge. It talks about neuroplasticity, and has some really cool theories about autism that make total sense. Check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was actually going to recommend a book also. :) There's a kid version of Who Moved My Cheese? While it's really meant for helping kids accepting change in their whole lives, I've found that Sammy is able to apply it to individual situations like this, at least at times. If Mason memorizes books like Sammy does (and quotes them later), you might try it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Frog Community