Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Don't be a hater.....

I was recently surfing the web in a desperate search for other bloggers like myself. While looking to connect with other parents of Autistic kids I came across a blog one which gave a two-fold reaction. For privacy sake, I will not disclose any information about the blog only that the person writing the blog, while I felt they had good intentions by asking hard questions, they needed to be made aware that what they had to say was coming across quite offensive and insensitive to some parents of Autistic children.

I was offended mostly about this person saying they were upset at having to deal with Aspie children...a term which may I remind people is not appropriate to use in reference to someone elses child. Used around people you are not familiar with can be construed as rude. I would not advise using the word Aspie in general conversation unless talking about your own child.

One of the things that upset me the most was the comment about how the parents of these Autistic children are letting their kids slide on their behaviors. That they are rude and she would tell her children to ignore them or stay away from them. How it isn't fair that she has taught her children how to behavior socially exceptable and its not fair that parents of Aspies let them get away with inappropriate behaviors.

First of all, She has no right to comment on the raising of children she knows nothing about. Secondly, They absolutely should be shown leiniency on their inappropriate behaviors. Would you punish a crippled child for falling if they don't have full use of their legs?

I am saddened by this persons close mindedness and wonder exactly what kind of values of tolerance she is instilling in her own children.

For those of you who might not understand where I am coming from. I would like to share a story with you. I got a call from the school one morning. The call simply stated that Mason had lied to his teacher. The school has a very annoying habit of calling everytime that Mason has an "off" day and asks the same question. "Has Mason had his medicine today?" The obvious answer: Yes. He has it every morning. Apparently, they believe that medication makes perfect little robot children. Boy do they need to wake up and smell the Focalin. Mason was having an "off" day and the teacher asked him if he had had his medicine that morning, which he had. Mason told his teacher that the doctor told mommy he didn't need to take it anymore. Obviously by now you have figured out that this wasn't true. A normal parent would punish their child for lying. I simply told the school I would speak to Mason about it. When Mason got home I sat him down and talked with him about what had happened. After listening to what he had to say. I solved the mystery of the lie. The day before I had taken Mason to the pediatrician. He had a chronic cough that got worse and I was afraid he would need antibiotics. In a conversation between Mason's doctor and I, the doctor stated that Mason didn't need any medicine for the cough. In Mason's head all he heard was the doctor telling me he didn't need any medicine. Of course I explained to Mason his mistake and we are working on understanding how not to take things out of context.

My question to all of you is should the child be punished for the act without considering the intent?

I know that the this person won't be the last sort of ignorance I will come across. I will have to put up with different kinds of narrow minded people who will critcize how I raise my child. My advice, confront these people like I choose to. With the grace and dignity. To those who don't have a child like mine please remember. It could be you in my shoes. Think about that next time you tell your child to ignore children who are different they they are.

Ignorance breeds intolerance.

6 comments:

  1. Don't fret! First of all, you are obviously an awesome mom. You care. My mom didn't believe in any help whatsoever so for me, a child with ADHD, I was expected to perform the same as other students. That puts so much pressure on a kid in any situation that is different for them. Chaz has five other siblings and although I hold him to many of the same standards as them, I also have a special grace for Chaz. He has high anxiety and gets upset easy. I've learned to remove him from the situation and calmly talk to him. Kind of like unwinding a tight knit ball. He just needs some help being talked down. He listens to so much more of what I say in conversations than I thought. Later he'll come to me, or even 6 months down the road and remind me of things I said. But like you said, he picks pieces of it.

    You are right that they shouldn't be expected to perform at the same level as other students. Chaz has gone through so many schools because of him not properly being worked with. Or like you said, they annoyingly call everyday and at times, made me come down to the school quite often. It was frustrating. Things really changed for me when I found a regular 1st teacher that just so happened to be trained to work with Asperger kids. She knew my son better than I did as far as how to work with him. She gave him a visual schedule. He would cross out the activites as they happened. She had flashcards for him to tell him something. Like "shhhh" or "stop". She said that when it's told to him verbally, it takes longer to let it process rather than show him the card. They are very visual. I always encourage my children to embrace kids of all different types of needs. I know what it's like to have my son shunned and I don't want my kids doing the same to others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank You Virginia, for your lovely comment. It is nice to know sometimes that you aren't alone in the struggles of raising a special child. I believe they are full of possibilities not disabilities. I wish everyone thought the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! First time visiting--I found you on BlogFrog. I also have a child with Asperger's that I blog about at www.littlebitquirky.blogspot.com . Check it out.

    I think in the case of what happened, it was a simple misunderstanding which can happen with any child. A lie occurs when there is intent to not be truthful. When the intent isn't there, it's not a lie. I don't think anybody would expect any child to be punished for a misunderstanding! Is your son in preschool or kindergarten? Hopefully his next school (if there is one) will be more understanding and tolerant of his off days. A good school is vital!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thank you for the comment! I LOVE your blog, and I'll follow it. You are absolutely beautiful, and your son is a total cutie! If you see me on CM, request to be my friend! Where do you live?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kristina...I live in Texas. I am not sure how to find you on CM. My screen name is Mochan.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great! I'll see if I can figure it out! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Blog Frog Community