Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

I Smell Panic in the Air...


Frustration is upon me. I have been patiently sitting by the phone for two and half weeks now. Mason's EEG showed abnormal almost four weeks ago. Like usual, the behavior pediatrician who gave me the results couldn't or wouldn't shed any light on the current situation. All that was said was that the EEG showed slowing of brain activity. Like any parent would, I asked what that could mean. The answer I was given was quite ambiguous. I was told it could be any number of brain disorders and that Mason would be referred to a neurologist at Cooks Childrens Hospital. After much prying they still couldn't give me an idea at what could be going on. I said thanks and simply hung up the phone. On second thought, thanks for nothing.
As parents, when we hear news that there is a problem we instinctivly ask questions right away. After all we are concerned about what we just heard. We are trained on instict. The doctors, however, are trained on vague. What we are really fishing for is a list. A list of possible diagnosis so we can go home and spend the next 48 hours on google and web md.
Is it going to solve the problem? No. Is it going to answer any more questions that we have? No. If anything it will put more questions in our heads. But what it is going to do is at least make us feel like we aren't sitting around on our thumbs doing nothing. It will give us at least something to work with. Give us ideas about what we should ask when we do go on to the next step.
Tomorrow I will call and find out why I still don't have an appointment for a referral yet. And write a letter to every med school suggesting they make a new class for people who want to become doctors. They should call it Pathology of Panic 101.

2 comments:

  1. I cannot imagine the panic you are going through...so hard. I am praying for you and your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Amber,
    Thank you for your kind words. Your prayers are appriciated. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Frog Community