Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Partly Cloudy with a Chance of Frazzled...

Although my blogivation has been somewhat dampened as of late, I feel the sudden urge to unload the craziness that has been the first few weeks of school for Mr. Mas and I.

Recently, we have moved to a new town ten miles away from where we used to live. This means a new school, new teacher, and new principal for Mas and Jenna Bean. I had a sit down with the principal at registration and explained to her about Mason's condition. She assured me that there were several other students in their school dealing with the same and that they were very capable of adjusting to Mason's needs. I found out very quickly that they were not. Just in the past couple of weeks, I have had phone call after phone call about Mason. Anything from telling me Mason was sent to the principals office cause he won't listen to the teacher to asking me if he has had his medications. The latter conversation ended in them telling me that they would prefer if the nurse gave Mason his meds in the morning. That way they could have something to show Mason when he gets confused on whether or not he had taken it that morning. Translation: They were accusing me of not giving it to him. While that in itself was enough to make me lose my cool, then the ARD meeting took place. Let me tell you it wasn't much better.

His teacher is quite obviously not equipped to handle Mason. While I informed them that Mason needs patience and understanding he also needs a firm hand. Give Mason and inch and he takes the entire state. In the meeting, it was discussed that they would wait and see if Mason would continue in mainstream education or if he would be removed to Resource. I have one comment to that. OVER MY DEAD BODY! It was also said that they didn't have an aid for Mason yet I am constantly getting calls and even letter telling me that his teacher can't handle his behaviors. In fact today I received a letter from the principal. In it she stated that Mason ran from his teacher and out of the classroom and away from his teacher and she informed me that this was dangerous and disrespectful. I am wondering whether or not she even listened to a word I said in our initial meeting. I stressed the point of Mason's elopement issues. For those of you who don't know what that is, Elopement is when some Autistic children feel the impulse to run or wander off. Oh and with it she most graciously included a Disciplinary Action to go in Mason's file. I was also told that they were reducing Mason's work load after I specifically said that I didn't want that. That teaching Mason that he doesn't have to do the work like all the other children is not what I want him to learn. Mason is capable of doing it and he should do it. His challenges shouldn't be a crutch to where he thinks he should be held to lower standards than the rest of his peers. I want Mason to overcome challenges not bend to them. An idea which apparently eludes them. I don't care what is easiest on the school. Only what helps Mason succeed.

While I understand that raising special needs children come with challenges. I find my self walking that thin line between Advocate and Tyrant. It is quite obvious that his teacher has no idea what she is doing with regards to Mason. That she needs and aid or Mason is never going to make it through the school year. It looks like I will be preparing for battle once again.

To top it all off, Mason goes to the Neurologist at Cook's on Thursday. I am terrified. I don't know what I am more scared of, not getting any answers, or getting the answers I don't want to hear.

There is something ominous in the air. A storm cloud brewing up ahead and once again my forecast is partly cloudy with a chance of frazzled.

1 comment:

  1. Mason is a strong child because he has a strong mother. You will see, it will all work out. I watch how hard you work and how frazzled you get. You will get the answers you need soon enough, and before you know it you will look back on this time and laugh at how you thought this was so hard. Love ya :) we are here for you!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Frog Community