Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Thursday, August 20, 2009

Breathe a Sigh of relief..

So tonight was meet the teacher night at Mason's school. Needless to say I was stressed and nervous about having to explain to yet another teacher about Mason and pray that I wouldn't get the reaction this year that I did last year. When I open the doors of the elementary I was the one of only three people in the hall. The other two being the principal and the counselor. I stopped to speak with them and asked them which of the 1st grade teachers had drawn the short straw this year. I was reassured that Mason had a fresh start this year and that everyone was more than willing to try and help Mason through another school year. Apparently, they attended school in the twilight zone last year. I told them of the plans that I had for Mason's doctors and the research I had done. Then walked the long hall to the 1st grade classrooms. I thought this would be perfect time for the guillotine music to start. When I walked in I was hesitant about telling Mason's teacher all about Mason. Mason's teach turned out to be male this year. Which I believe would be beneficial to Mason. After a long talk with Mason's teacher he really made me feel better about the situation. He understood about asperger's and proved to me that he did by telling ME what he was expecting in having Mason in his classroom. I know it won't solve all of the issues but having someone who understands and is willing to be patient and wants Mason in his class is the best thing I could have asked for. I know it will be a rocky road ahead but at least his teacher is willing to help Mason over the boulders. Thank God for small favors...

4 comments:

  1. Looks like this may be yours and Mason's year. Keep doing the research and being proactive. Your doing great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally LOVE your blog. I can picture it perfectly...you so tall walking the big halls of the elementary feeling like a kid :) Keep up the good work!! You are a wonderful mom and an inspiration to me! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad to come across your blog, My 5 year old (whom has aspergers) is starting kindergarten tomorrow. I am so nervous, scared, sad, and just want to keep him home. He will be in an inclusion class, but at meet the teacher they didnt even ask me his routine, his obesessions, how he does with loud noises, how to calm him if a meltdown occurs...NOTHING! That didnt set well with me although I have heard nothing but how awesome this teacher is. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad that you read my blog. I understand you frustration there is nothin scarier that worrying about the physical and emotional health of your child. The best advice I can give you is stand up for your feelings. If at anytime you get that uneasy feeling about anything. Tell them. If they refuse to listen then go higher up the food chain and talk to the superintendant. There is also people through MHMR who are what they call disability lawyers. If you feel you are not being taken seriously. You can call them and they are supposed to make sure that the school is doing what they are supposed to for your child.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Frog Community