Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Sunday, August 9, 2009

The best place to start...


I believe it is said the best place to start is the beginning. The pregnancy was normal and quite uneventful. He progressed as normal children do. He walked around a year old and started talking accurate to the normal time line. He was at the ninety seventh percentile for his age and still is to this day. I noticed that once he started to be mobile that he didn't want me to snuggle him a whole lot. I chalked it up to personality and that he would rather be exploring. After all boys will be boys. Around two he started to rock himself. I assumed it was a form of self soothing. I had been told that lots of children do it. Then I started noticing other things. He had an adversion to loud sounds and any simple change like a favorite cartoon ending on the television would send him spiraling into a temper tantrum. He was quit clumsy and as usual I attributed it to the fact that he was a toddler. When he started spending more time with his peers, It was noticed that he had a hard time relating and shied away from other children. He would rather play alone and got aggitated if others tried to play with him. It was always in the back of my mind that there was something not right with him, but as a parent no one wants to admit that they might have a child with special needs. It wasn't until a very close friend voiced the same opinions that had been on my mind for a long time that I decided maybe it was more than just the concious fears of a mother. Then came the dreaded onslaught of the true struggles of a mother with a special needs child...Kindergarden...

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!!!!!! Can't wait for the next installment! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Frog Community