Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Teacher on Trial

So the first day of school has come and gone. It started off with my husband and I walking Mason to his classroom. My husband having not met the teacher yet was more anxious than I was. He had to take a day off of work to meet his teacher. As we walked down the hallway, he made the snide remark that at least this teacher he could punch. Now for those of you who are reading this who don't know my husband, don't be offended. He would never REALLY do that or I would not LET him. Same thing. But of course, he had to give this new teacher the third degree and the same set of information I had previously given him at meet the teacher night. After being reassured that Mason's new teacher wasn't an axe murder or psychopath, We headed home to wait the dreaded seven hours before we would find out how the trial run of the new teacher went.

The whole time he was gone, I had time to stew on the events of last year. I guess what bothered me most of all was the fact that my concerns had gone unnoticed. I never got the closure I needed last year. I was told that there was a pecking order and that I some how violated that chain of command when I went to the principal instead of the teacher. What do I really want to do now? Go to the superintendent. Have a nice little sit down and spill the proverbial beans. I wouldn't feel this way if the confrontation in the hallway at meet the teacher night had gone a little differently. Newsflash teachers and principals! When a parent walks up to you who has had the experiences I have and tells you their anxiety level is through the roof because last year, When they explain to you that they had done their research this year and know their rights. That is YOUR cue! What should happen next is not "Everyone has a fresh start this year." Bull. Mason may have a fresh start this year but you don't. That is your cue to start explaining what steps you are going to be taking to ensure what happened last year isn't going to happen this year. We don't appriciate being pacified. We want actions and results cause lets face it you can't pacify an angry parents. Being fed bull and kept in the dark...do I look like a mushroom? All I can say, Is that I am still comtemplating setting up a meet and greet with the superintendent. I am not unreasonable so I have decided to give the school a chance to redeem itself. However, the first time that something happens that I don't like I will have that sit down with the superintendent.

When it was time to pick Mason up I had sufficiently freaked myself out. Although I hadn't recieved a call I just knew that something was going to be said. When Mason walked out with the teacher, He seemed to be generally in a good mood. The teacher said that Mason only needed a little bit of refocus the whole day but did very well and I was relieved. I was glad for small favors. I know that everyday won't be a great day. Some days will be good days. And if there are more good days than bad, that is all a parent can ask for.

2 comments:

  1. You are doing wonderful and Mason is progressing so much!!! This year will be great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it will be a great year!:)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Frog Community