Mason and Mommy

Mason and Mommy

Monday, August 10, 2009

The Calm after the Storm.

After the Diagnosis, I was confused. I didn't realize what that had meant for my family and I. I was not prepared for the onslaught of fights with the school and fights with the doctors. The school got extremely mad at me when we took Mason off of his ADHD medication to switch to another one cause the side effects were too sever. It made Mason so anxious that he would gnaw on his lip and it was red and swollen with sores. I took Mason back to his pediatrician and reported the diagnosis with the assumption that as a medical professional he would alert me to any other problems I should look for. He didn't. It wasn't until my own research did I find about specific diets and supplements and probiotics. Needless to say I love my little boy his quirks and all. After I told the school of Mason's diagnosis what they told me next floored me. They said they had to test him AGAIN! After several ARD meetings and Mason being sent for more tests they told me that Autism was not considered a learning disorder. Really!? He can barely funtion in the class room and I was told that three teachers aid's quit and refused to work with Mason and they didn't think he needed special attention in the classroom. His Kindergarden teacher even requested that Mason be transfered out of her class because she couldn't help him. The ironic part....she has a son with Asperger's Syndrome. The fighting with the school to give him the help he needs is finally paying off. When he starts first grade he will finally be getting speech therapy, occupational therpay, and time with the special education teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Frog Community